On this page
A small-scale trial for the supply of cannabis has started on 1 July 2020. The trial aims to find out whether it is possible to create a closed supply system for supplying and selling cannabis in coffeeshops. In the trial, growers with a special licence will be allowed to supply coffeeshops legally. The cannabis will be subject to quality controls. The closed system will exclude criminal activity from the supply chain.
A number of rules apply to the trial:
- All coffeeshops in the participating municipalities will take part in the experiment.
- The administration of these coffeeshops and their suppliers has to be transparent and watertight.
- Market forces will determine the price and range of products available.
- The amount of active substances (THC and CBD) must be clearly indicated on the packaging.
- The coffeeshops sell these pre-packaged products as supplied by the growers.
This so-called weed experiment has started on 1 July 2020.