Outsourcing your tax returns

Published by:
Netherlands Tax Administration, Belastingdienst
Netherlands Tax Administration, Belastingdienst

You can file your own tax returns. You can also choose to have someone else do them for you. This is how to get help with your tax returns.

Get help with your tax returns

You can file your tax returns yourself, but if you need help with this, you can also have someone else do it for you. For example, your accountant, tax adviser, or payroll agency. These service providers often use specialised software to do your tax returns. Alternatively, they may send you all the information you need to file your returns yourself.

Make clear arrangements

If you outsource your tax returns, it is a good idea to make clear arrangements. Discuss how you will keep your records and who will sign and submit the tax returns.

Never share your login details for the Tax Administration. Instead, you can authorise the person filing your tax returns to access your data.

How do you authorise third parties?

Third parties can file your tax returns via the Tax Administration website. You must first have given them permission to do so with a digital authorisation. The authorisation procedure depends on the legal structure of your business.

  • If you have an eenmanszaak (sole proprietorship), you can authorise third parties through DigiD. You can do this yourself, or have it done by the person who will handle your taxes. The authorisation procedure takes about 1 week. DigiD authorisations are valid for 1 financial year.
  • For other legal structures, such as for bvs and bvs, your financial adviser will have to sign in with eHerkenning. Your adviser will tell you exactly what you need to do to authorise them. You do not need to apply for eHerkenning yourself.

Remember, you are always responsible for your tax returns even if someone else files them.

Who can access the data?

If you have authorised someone to file your tax return, that person can receive digital information such as assessments, letters, and decisions from the Tax Administration. This always requires your prior consent. After you complete the authorisation process, the Tax Administration will send you a letter asking if you would like them to forward information to the person filing your tax returns. If you consent, you will receive the original letters. Your authorised representative will receive a copy of this information digitally.

Keep track of your tax returns

To check the status of your tax returns, go to Mijn Belastingdienst for Businesses. The tax return overview will show you which returns are yet to be submitted and which have already been received by the Tax Administration.