Logo of the Dutch governmentGo to homepage

Government support for entrepreneurs

How Dutch government works

This information is provided by: Netherlands Enterprise Agency

If you apply for a permit or a subsidy, or have to pay tax in the Netherlands, you will be dealing with various government bodies. Dutch government administration is ranked in 3 levels:

Central government

The central government is responsible for nation-wide policy. Although many duties are decentralised, central government continues to be responsible for a number of duties. Examples are the granting of residence permits, air operating licences or gas production licences. The Dutch government consists of 13 ministries, like the Ministry of Economic Affairs and Climate Policy and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

Provincial authorities

The Netherlands has 12 provinces. Provincial authorities form the level between municipal authorities and the central government. They focus on environmental affairs beyond the level of municipalities, spatial planning, traffic and transport, agriculture, etc. Provincial authorities often serve as 'area-based directors' and closely cooperate with the other levels. They can also issue permits in a number of areas, including the environment.

Municipal authorities

The Netherlands has slightly over 400 municipalities or town councils. They focus on all matters relating to their own jurisdiction. Examples are zoning plans, traffic matters, environmental aspects, management of public spaces, business parks, etc. The municipal authorities issue permits for this.

Other government bodies

There are also other organisations that perform government duties. These are:

  • Regional Water Authorities are responsible for water management throughout the Netherlands.
  • Autonomous administrative authorities, such as the Employee Insurance Agency (Uitvoeringsinstituut Werknemersverzekeringen, UWV), the Government Road Transport Agency (Rijksdienst voor het Wegverkeer) and the Authority for Consumers and Markets (Autoriteit Consument en Markt).
  • Regional partnerships.
  • Public bodies for specific professions and trades, such as the Netherlands Bar Association (Nederlandse Orde van Advocaten).

Some of these organisations are responsible for granting permits and licences or managing professional registers.

Finding the right authority

Always check which government body or organisation is competent as regards your activity. If you have any doubts, contact the council in which your business is operating. They can tell you who to turn to.

This information is provided by:

Netherlands Enterprise Agency