This article is related to:

Approval and proof of identity of private security and investigation agencies staff

This information is provided by

Netherlands Enterprise Agency, RVO

Do you want to hire people for your private security firm or detective agency? You need permission (in Dutch) from your local chief of police for every single employee.

Permission for employees

The police screens your employee(s) for reliability and professional competence. The chief of police will check if your employee has been convicted for a crime in the past 8 years or if there have been other incidents that may compromise their reliability. They will also ensure the employee has the right qualifications (in Dutch). It is possible to have a foreign diploma recognised.


Once permission is granted, you can apply for a special identification document (in Dutch) for your employee, signed by the chief of police. Your employees are required to carry this special proof of identity at all times. The document is valid for 3 years at most. If your employee quits working in security, you as an employer have to return the document in person to the chief of police. If you fail to do so, you may be fined.

Your organisation is obliged to keep a secure register of your employees’ identity documents.

Foreign employees

Foreign security personnel and detectives, who wish to work in the Netherlands, must provide proof of their reliability and qualifications. To do so, they must request 'Recognition of EU professional qualifications' (Erkenning van EG-beroepskwalificaties) (in Dutch) at the judiciary service Justis (Ministry of Justice and Security).

Approval for managers

Approval from the Minister of Justice and Security is required for managers. You must submit a separate application to Justis for each manager. Approval is obligatory for anyone performing mangement tasks and those who have a say in the running of your organisation.

If a manager works as a security or investigation officer as well, they need a separate approval for this.

Declaration of reliability of alarm installers

Private alarm centres in the Netherlands may only have alarm equipment installed and maintained by certified installers. These installers must possess a declaration of reliability issued by their local police force. They should apply for this declaration themselves.

Online application procedure via Message Box

Private alarm centres and detective agencies can submit an application for approval also via Message Box. Message Box is a secure e-mail system that enables you as an entrepreneur to exchange digital messages with Dutch government agencies.

This article is related to:

This information is provided by

Netherlands Enterprise Agency, RVO