On this page
In the Netherlands, you are not allowed to automatically renew subscriptions. These rules have been drawn up to protect consumers, they do not apply to agreements between businesses (business-to-business, B2B). In that case, the general rules regarding (purchase) agreements from Books 6 and 7 of the Dutch Civil Code (Burgerlijk Wetboek) apply. With regard to subscriptions to newspapers, magazines and periodicals, automatic renewal is limited to a three month period.
Automatic renewal business telecom plan
After automatic renewal, small businesses may terminate their plan for telephone or internet without any costs at any moment after the contract period has expired. However, they must observe a one month term of notice.
Renewal, changes and cancellations
- After the initial contract period, you are not allowed to automatically renew your client's subscription for a fixed term agreement.
- You are allowed to change an agreement into an agreement for an indefinite period, as long as consumers can cancel it at any moment with a month's notice.
- You are not allowed to force consumers to cancel the agreement at a specific time.
- Consumers must be able to cancel their agreement in exactly the same way as they signed up for them.
Subscription to newspapers, magazines and periodicals
- After the initial contract period you may only renew the subscription automatically by a period of 3 months at the most. You must always give consumers the possibility to cancel the subscription with a month's notice. For business subscriptions the general terms and conditions drawn up by the vendor apply.
- If you renew a subscription automatically to an indefinite subscription, a 3 month notice period applies. This also applies to magazines or periodicals that are published less than once a month.
- Trial subscriptions end after the agreed trial period.