The Establishments Layout Requirements Decree of the Licensing and Catering Act (Besluit eisen inrichtingen Drank- en Horecawet) contains the layout requirements for catering establishments in the Netherlands. They only apply if your business requires a licence under the Licencing and Catering Act (Drank- en horecavergunning). In that case it is essential that your catering establishment has:
- 2 completely separate and lockable toilets with handwashing facilities in close proximity;
- a mechanical ventilation system which is connected directly to the open air outside the building;
- a fully functioning electricity supply, proper drinking water facilities and telephone facilities.
Accessibility for disabled visitors
Since the introduction of the United Nations Convention on people with disabilities, all entrepreneurs must comply with the following legislations:
- Reasonable modifications in the workplace to meet the needs of people with disabilities (in Dutch);
- Improving the general accessibility (in Dutch). You do not have to make adjustments to your entire establishment for all people with disabilities, however, you are required to improve some parts of your establishment.
The Royal Dutch Hotel and Catering Association (KHN) can provide you with advice on how to optimise your establishment's accessibility.