Logo of the Dutch governmentGo to homepage

Government support for entrepreneurs

Noise regulations

This information is provided by Netherlands Enterprise Agency

In order to prevent noise pollution, companies in the Netherlands must comply with noise regulations. These regulations are laid down in legislation, including the Environmental Permitting (General Provisions) Act (Wet algemene bepalingen omgevingsrecht, Wabo) and the Noise Abatement Act (Wet geluidhinder, Wgh). The regulations with which you must comply will depend on such factors as your company’s commercial activities and business location.

General environmental regulations on noise

Under the Wabo, general environmental regulations on noise are laid down in the Activities (Environmental Management) Decree (Activiteitenbesluit milieubeheer). These apply to a large number of companies. If you satisfy the general regulations, you will not need an All-in-one Permit for Physical Aspects (omgevingsvergunning). If you don't satisfy the general regulations, you need to apply for this permit at your municipality.

Acoustic report

The municipality or province may ask you for an acoustic report, when you start up your company or change your business activities. If you need to apply for an All-in-one Permit for Physical Aspects, the report is part of your application.

Noise Abatement Act

The Noise Abatement Act establishes permissible noise levels for companies on a zoned industrial estate.

General Municipal By-law

Noise abatement provisions are also included in General Municipal By-law (Algemeen Plaatselijke Verordening, APV) and Provincial Environmental Act (Provinciale Omgevingsverordening, POV).

Noise regulations in the hotel and catering industry

Your hotel and catering business is allowed to organise festivities a few times a year, in which case you do not have to comply with the noise regulations. However, some municipalities require you to inform them about these occasional festivities a few weeks in advance. In some municipalities, you will need a licence if you want to use sound equipment.

This information is provided by

Netherlands Enterprise Agency