Logo of the Dutch governmentGo to homepage

Government support for entrepreneurs

This article is related to:

Conversion permit residential accommodation

This information is provided by Netherlands Enterprise Agency

If you want to let out part of a residential property in the Netherlands, you may require a conversion permit (omzettingsvergunning kamerverhuur) from your municipal authority. This permit allows you to change your independent residential accommodation into non-independent accommodation. Non-independent means the units do not have their own front door.

A permit, if required, can be issued for both rented and owner-occupied properties. The conditions vary depending on the municipality and are laid down in the local municipal Housing Regulations (Huisvestingsverordening).

Letting fee

If a letting agent assists both landlord and potential tenants, the landlord incurs the letting fee.

Online application procedure via Message Box

You can apply for this conversion permit also via Message Box. Message Box is a secure email system that enables you as an entrepreneur to exchange digital messages with Dutch government agencies.

This article is related to:

Any further questions?

Please contact the Netherlands Enterprise Agency

+31 (0)88 602 44 44

This information is provided by

Netherlands Enterprise Agency