Logo of the Dutch governmentGo to homepage

Government information for entrepreneurs

Applying for an earth removal permit

This information is provided by

Netherlands Enterprise Agency

In the Netherlands, to excavate soil from the land or in the water, you need an earth removal permit (ontgrondingsvergunning). Excavating soil may be necessary to build roads or dig foundation pits, extract raw materials or structure the landscape. In some situations, a notification is sufficient. You apply for the earth removal permit to the competent provincial authority or, for excavations in national watersExternal link to Rijkswaterstaat (in Dutch).

Applying for compensation

If you incur damage as a consequence of the granting, amendment or withdrawal of an earth removal permit, you may be eligible for compensation pursuant to the Earth Removal Act (Ontgrondingenwet). You apply for compensation to the government agency that granted, amended or withdrew the earth removal permit in question.

Online application procedure via Message Box

In the province of Noord-Brabant you can apply for an earth removal permit, as well as for compensation, also online via Message Box. Message Box is a secure email system that enables you as an entrepreneur to exchange digital messages with Dutch government agencies.

Questions relating to this article?

Please contact the Netherlands Enterprise Agency (RVO)

+31 (0)88 602 44 44

This information is provided by

Netherlands Enterprise Agency