Logo of the Dutch governmentGo to homepage

Government support for entrepreneurs

Notification of digging (Excavation Regulation)

This information is provided by

Netherlands Enterprise Agency

In the Netherlands, if you want to dig mechanically or have such work performed, you are obliged to report your planned activitiesExternal link to the Dutch Land Registry Office (Kadaster) at least 20 days before the activity (KLIC notification, in Dutch).

You must first register with Kadaster before you can do so. Through Kadaster, the competent network manager will send you information about cables and pipelines present at the location of the dig. In order to be able to send you this information, the network manager has to be certified.

Excavation work on a provincial public road

If you intend to excavate in a provincial public road, you may have to apply for dispensation from the provincial authority as well, besides the notification to Kadaster

Damage caused by excavation

You are obliged to carry out the excavation work (or have it carried out for you) with the utmost care. An assessment of existing networks and guidelines to avoid damage have been compiled in CROW publication 500 'Avoiding damage to cables and pipes'External link (in Dutch). If a network is damaged during the excavation work, you must report the damage to the manager of the damaged network. As a network manager, you have to report all damage to your network to KadasterExternal link once a year. Even if your network sustained no damage, you still have to fill in the notification form every January.

Unexpected situations

As an excavator, did you find one or more networks that are not stated on the drawings provided to you? Or does the actual location of the network differ? Or do you find no network at all? In that case, you must report this to Kadaster. They will then inform the relevant network manager (if known).

Agricultural businesses

Farmers do not have to submit a separate notification of their intention to perform excavation work each time they till their land. When performing excavation work down to a depth of 50 centimetres, you can use the information received when you first submitted a notification of your intention to perform excavation work.

Online procedure via Message Box

Using Message Box you can submit the following notifications to Kadaster online:

  • intention to perform excavation work
  • damage during excavation work
  • unexpected situation

You can submit your application for dispensation to dig in a provincial road via Message Box to your provincial authority. Message Box is a secure email system that enables you as an entrepreneur to exchange digital messages with Dutch government agencies.

This information is provided by

Netherlands Enterprise Agency