Permit to lay cables and pipelines

Published by:
Netherlands Enterprise Agency, RVO
Netherlands Enterprise Agency, RVO
Checked 3 Sept 2021
1 min read
Nederlandse versie

If you want to lay cables and pipelines (including associated equipment) in public land within a Dutch municipality, you need a permit. Read more.

Find out more or arrange now

at your municipality, province, or water authority

Do you want to lay cables and pipelines (and the equipment that goes with it) in public land within a Dutch municipality? Then you should:

You can apply for a permit to your local municipal authority. With your permit application, you must enclose land registry details and details about the pipelines or cables.

Laying cables and pipelines in a provincial road or waterway

If you want to lay cables and pipelines in, around, or under a provincial road or waterway, you may need an authorisation or permit from the provincial authorities. For more information, please contact your provincial authorities (in Dutch).

Duty to report changes

Does your work result in changes in or to a pipeline, such as leakage, damage, or transport changes? Or does your work result in the taking out of service of a pipeline? You must report these changes to the Human Environment and Transport Inspectorate (Inspectie Leefomgeving en Transport, ILT). Any unusual incidents that urgently need to be attended, must be reported to ILT by telephone immediately, to number +31 88 489 00 00.

Compensation for rerouting

Are you the cable and pipe manager and do you suffer damage because of cables and pipes being rerouted by the government? You may be entitled to compensation. This applies to rerouting because of changes in the infrastructure in the management area of the Minister of Infrastructure and the Environment.

Online application procedure via Message Box

You can apply for a permit or dispensation to the municipal or provincial authorities using Message Box. Message Box is a secure email system that enables you as an entrepreneur to exchange digital messages with Dutch government agencies.

Please note: if there is a specific municipal or provincial regulation on laying telecommunications cables, you cannot use Message Box to apply for the permit.

This webpage is part of an EU quality network