Logo of the Dutch governmentGo to homepage

Government support for entrepreneurs

This article is related to:

Fighting animal diseases

This information is provided by

Netherlands Enterprise Agency

If you run a poultry or cattle business in the Netherlands you must do everything possible to prevent animal disease outbreaks. You must ensure that you follow biosecurity procedures, such as cleaning and disinfecting premises. If you suspect the presence of a contagious animal disease, such as swine fever or bird flu, you must report this immediately to the National Animal Disease Contact Point of the Netherlands Food and Consumer Product Safety AuthorityExternal link (Nederlandse Voedsel en Waren Autoriteit, NVWA). An overview of animal diseases that require reportingExternal link (in Dutch) is available on their website. In order to fight and avert animal diseases, specialists may be appointed to perform physical interventions on the animals concerned.

Blood samples poultry and pigs

If you have a poultry farm in the Netherlands or keep more than 30 pigs weighing more than 25 kilos, you are required to take blood samples or have them taken from your animals. They must be tested by a certified laboratory. If a disease is suspected, appropriate measures will be taken by the NVWA. You are required to keep the test results in your business records for a period of two years at least.

Reporting animal cadavers for autopsy

You must report suspicious animal cadavers for autopsy to the Animal Health Service (GD). The GD collection service will collect the animals for autopsy from the farm or veterinary practice.

Reporting animal cadavers for collection and processing

Livestock farmers or veterinarians in het Netherlands must report dead farm animals to RendacExternal link (in Dutch) within 1 working day. Make sure that you use the correct animal codes when reporting, so that they will know what type of animal cadaver to expect. You can find the animal code on the price listExternal link (pdf, in Dutch).


Cattle farmers and dealers are not permitted to treat their animals against diseases like foot-and-mouth, avian influenza and bluetongue with sera or vaccines themselves. When they are allowed or obliged to do so, or when veterinary doctors must vaccinmate, is indicated in various protocols. You can apply for an exemption to the Netherlands Enterprise AgencyExternal link.

Please note: The technical requirements that apply in the Netherlands to sera and vaccines against Aujeszky’s disease (AJD) and vaccines against infectious bovine rhinotracheitis (IBR) differ from those of other EU Member States. If these sera or vaccines are already allowed in another EU Member State, the authorities may ban their sale in the Netherlands only in exceptional cases.

Online application procedure via Message Box

Using Message Box, you can apply digitally for the exemption from the ban on vaccination at the Netherlands Enterprise Agency. Message Box is a secure e-mail system that enables you as an entrepreneur to exchange digital messages with Dutch government agencies.

This article is related to:

This information is provided by

Netherlands Enterprise Agency