Importing wood and wood products

Published by:
Netherlands Enterprise Agency, RVO
Netherlands Enterprise Agency, RVO
< 1 min read
Nederlandse versie

On this page

If you want to import wood or wood products into the European Union, you will have to observe certain phytosanitary requirements. It depends on the country of origin and the type of wood – bark, hardwood or softwood – which requirements apply.

It is forbidden to import and sell illegally cut wood and products made of this wood. You must be able to demonstrate the exact origin of the wood and that it has been cut legally. You will possibly need a FLEGT licence (Forest Law Enforcement, Governance and Trade) for some countries. A FLEGT license guarantees that wood products come from legally felled trees and have been imported legally.

Many types of wood must be treated to prevent harmful organisms being spread with the wood. A phytosanitary certificate is therefore often required with the import consignment. A plant passport can be required for transit within the EU.

Wood packaging

Wood packaging imported into the EU from countries other than Switzerland must fulfil the requirements of the ISPM 15 international phytosanitary standard (in Dutch). Wooden packaging must bear a brand mark consisting of the IPPC logo (International Plant Protection Conference), a 2-letter ISO country code, code which identifies the manufacturer and a code that shows how the wood has been treated.

Please note: this also applies to imported products which are packaged on pallets or in wooden crates from non-EU countries and Switzerland, including the UK.

This article is related to: