Phytosanitary and veterinary export certificate

This information is provided by

Netherlands Enterprise Agency, RVO

You will need a veterinary or phytosanitary export certificate to export agricultural goods from the Netherlands to non EU countries.

What is an export certificate?

The export certificate is a document issued by the Dutch government stating that the shipment in question complies with the requirements of the destination country. The product in question determines which inspection service issues the export certificate. There are two kinds of export certificates:

  • a veterinary export certificate for live animals and animal products;
  • a phytosanitary export certificate for plant products.

Applying for an export certificate

You can use the automated e-Cert system (formerly Client Export) to apply for an export certificate for the following products:

  • Animal feed
  • Fruit and vegetables
  • Fertiliser
  • Seed potatoes
  • Cut flowers and pot plants
  • Meat and meat products
  • Agricultural seeds
  • Dairy products
When importing plants and plant products into the EU, you will need a phytosanitary inspection.

In order to be able to use e-CertNL, you will need to use eHerkenning (the Dutch electronic authentication and authorisation system) or contact the Netherlands Enterprise Agency. You can authorise another company to use the e-CertNL system to submit applications on your behalf.

Exporting to the United Kingdom after Brexit

On 31 January 2020 the UK has left the European Union, which marks the start of the transition period until 31 December 2020. During this transition period, the UK is no longer a member of the EU, but will still be subject to EU regulations. If you export agricultural goods to the United Kingdom (in Dutch), you will need to take extra measures after this transition period. This is because then the UK will be considered a third country. If you export plants (in Dutch), you will need a phytosanitary export certificate. If you export meat (in Dutch), you will need to apply for export certificates and undergo inspections. Also Check the Brexit Portal Export pages (in Dutch), the Get ready for Brexit website and What does Brexit mean for my customs matters?. Make sure you take steps to prepare in time.

This information is provided by

Netherlands Enterprise Agency, RVO