Logo of the Dutch government

Insured healthcare provision by self-employed carers

This information is provided by

Netherlands Enterprise Agency, RVO

Are you a freelance/self-employed carer or nurse in the Netherlands? And do you want to provide your clients with insured care at home under the Social Support act (Wet maatschappelijke ondersteuning, Wmo) or the Long-term Care Act (Wet langdurige zorg, Wlz)? If so, you have several options:

  • You can offer your services through a care provider. This is an approved institution (in Dutch), such as a homecare organisation, care institution or intermediary agency.
  • You can conclude an agreement with a care administration office. The personal care, nursing or assistance you offer your clients at home will then be insured.
  • You provide care directly to an individual client, who has been granted a so-called Personal Care Budget (persoonsgebonden budget, pgb).

Avoid false self-employment

When you accept an assignment, you need to check if you will be working as an employee or as a self-employed professional. You have to avoid false self-employment. Use a model agreement if you think you may be considered an entrepreneur by the Dutch Tax and Customs Administration. An approved model agreement (in Dutch) for freelancers/self-employed professionals who give home care commissioned by care institutions, is available.

This article is related to:

This information is provided by

Netherlands Enterprise Agency, RVO
FAQPartnersContactAbout usDisclaimerPrivacy and cookiesAccessibilityOndernemersplein (Dutch) is an initiative of:Netherlands Chamber of Commerce, KVKNetherlands Enterprise Agency, RVOImmigration and Naturalisation Service, INDTax and Customs Administration, BelastingdienstGovernment.nlStatistics Netherlands, CBSNetherlands Vehicle Authority, RDWDigital Trust CenterEuropean Commission Point of Single is the Dutch Point of Single Contact for entrepreneurs.Accessibility level: W3C WAI-AA WCAG 2.1