Logo of the Dutch government

Licences for using a radio frequency

This information is provided by

Netherlands Enterprise Agency, RVO

Do you want to transmit radio programmes in the Netherlands as a broadcaster or as a short-term broadcaster (evenementenzender)? You need a licence in order to use a particular air frequency.

Do you want to start a commercial broadcasting station? You first need a permit from the Dutch Media Authority (Commissariaat voor de Media, CvdM) . Then you can apply for a licence from the Radiocommunications Agency (Agentschap Telecom, in Dutch). The Radiocommunications Agency is responsible for distributing the frequency spectrum. The frequencies for commercial broadcasters are sold by auction.

You need to specify if you are a national or non-national broadcaster. If you want to start a non-national broadcasting service, you need to dedicate part of your broadcasting time to regional programming (in Dutch).

Experimenting licence

If your business is based in the Netherlands and you need air frequency spectrum for the purpose of an experiment, you can request an experimenting licence from the Radiocommunications Agency. One of the conditions is that you should not cause interference for other frequency users. Another condition is that you do not use the licence for commercial purposes (not for profit).

Short-term broadcasting

If you are staging an event and want to broadcast a radio programme for it (evenementenzender), you must obtain permission (in Dutch) from the Dutch Media Authority (CvdM). You request a frequency (in Dutch) on which to broadcast from the Radiocommunications Agency. Programmes which qualify for this have a short running time and a limited reach.

Event telecommunications licence

If you intend to use radiotelephones, walkie-talkies, intercom, video or audio links over short or long distances during the event, you must apply for an event licence from the Radiocommunications Agency.

This article is related to:

This information is provided by

Netherlands Enterprise Agency, RVO
FAQPartnersContactAbout usDisclaimerPrivacy & CookiesAccessibilityOndernemersplein (Dutch) is an initiative of:Netherlands Chamber of Commerce, KVKNetherlands Enterprise Agency, RVOImmigration and Naturalisation Service, INDTax and Customs Administration, BelastingdienstGovernment.nlStatistics Netherlands, CBSNetherlands Vehicle Authority, RDWDigital Trust CenterEuropean Commission Point of Single is the Dutch Point of Single Contact for entrepreneurs.Accessibility level: W3C WAI-AA WCAG 2.1