The Dutch Minister of Education, Culture and Science can give objects or collections of cultural-historic or scientific value for the Netherlands a protected status. These items will then be listed in the Dutch Protected Objects and Collections Register (Dutch). The Cultural Heritage Inspectorate (Erfgoedinspectie) monitors compliance with the Cultural Heritage Act.
If you own one or more objects that are listed in this register, you must:
- inform the Cultural Heritage Inspectorate if the objects are missing, stolen or temporarily lent out
- draw up a contract in case of a temporary loan for use
- inform the Cultural Heritage Inspectorate of a sale within the Netherlands
- ask the Cultural Heritage Inspectorate for permission for temporary export
- ask the Minister of Education, Culture and Science for permission for export or sale abroad