Logo of the Dutch government

Registration and consultation of architects' register

This information is provided by

Netherlands Enterprise Agency, RVO

To use the title 'architect' in the Netherlands, you must register with the Architect Registration Office in accordance with the Architects' Title Act. Find out more.

If you intend to use the title 'architect' in the Netherlands you must register with the Architects' Registration Bureau (Bureau Architectenregister). This registration is in accordance with the Architects' Title Act (Wet op de architectentitel).

Architects' titles

Architect is a protected title and you must be registered to use this title. This applies to anyone wishing to use the title:

  • architect
  • garden or landscape architect
  • interior architect
  • urban designer

This also applies to the use of abbreviations of and compound words with this title. Yacht and naval designers are not required to register. If you use the title architect in another (not construction) field of work, such as for instance ICT architect, the title is not protected. In such cases you do not need to register with the Architects' Registration Bureau.

Professional experience

If you qualified as an architect before the end of 2014, you are eligible to register without professional experience. Employers and clients may require such a registration.

If you qualified in or after 2015, you can only register in the architects' register if:

  • you have completed the relevant masters training at an accredited educational institution;
  • you have work experience; and
  • you complete at least 16 hours of continuing professional development per year

There are 2 possible routes to gain work experience:

Information obligation

If you are registerd in the architects register you have an information obligation. This means you have to inform a prospective client requesting a quotation on your:

  • professional expertise
  • professional liablity insurance
  • rights and obligations

Did you qualify abroad?

If you qualified as an architect outside the Netherlands, your degree needs to be recognised first. Then the Architects' Registration Bureau will determine if you need to complete a professional traineeship. If you are a trained and qualified architect from another EU country you automatically qualify for registration. You can request an assesment of your qualifications if you are not eligible for automatic recognition.

Do you have experience, but no qualification?

If do not have the relevant degree, or you want to change the title under which you registered, and you have at least 7 years experience in the field, you can become eligible to register by taking an exam.

Protected title in the firm name

If you have an architectural firm and you wish to use a protected title in the firm’s name, at least half of the directors must be registered under this title in the Architects’ Register.

Unlawful use of the title

If you use a protected title and you are not registered, this is unlawful use of the title. Unlawful use of the title can be reported by anyone to the Architects Registration Bureau. They may take legal action.

Online registration procedure via Message Box

Using Message Box you can submit requests online to be listed in the architects' register, which is maintained by the Architect Registration Bureau. Message Box is a secure email system that enables you as an entrepreneur to exchange digital messages with Dutch government agencies.

This article is related to:

This information is provided by

Netherlands Enterprise Agency, RVO
FAQPartnersContactAbout usDisclaimerPrivacy and cookiesAccessibilityOndernemersplein (Dutch) is an initiative of:Netherlands Chamber of Commerce, KVKNetherlands Enterprise Agency, RVOImmigration and Naturalisation Service, INDTax and Customs Administration, BelastingdienstGovernment.nlStatistics Netherlands, CBSNetherlands Vehicle Authority, RDWDigital Trust CenterEuropean Commission Point of Single is the Dutch Point of Single Contact for entrepreneurs.Accessibility level: W3C WAI-AA WCAG 2.1