Logo of the Dutch government

Road transport waybill

This information is provided by

Netherlands Enterprise Agency, RVO

Do you work in the road haulage industry? You need a euro permit for national and international transport. You also need to carry a road transport waybill (consignment note), although there are some exceptions. A road transport waybill is an agreement about the freight between sender and carrier.

Drawing up a waybill

A road transport waybill should contain at least:

  • the origin of the freight (consignor)
  • who performs the transport (carrier)
  • where the freight is to be delivered (recipient or addressee)
  • the freight itself
  • the gross weight or amount of the shipment

In a number of countries (in Dutch) you may use a digital waybill (eCMR). In other countries the driver is required to carry a paper copy of the waybill.

Inspecting a waybill and freight

You must verify if the information in the waybill is accurate. For instance the number of packages, the brand and the serial numbers. You also need to inspect the external condition of the freight for any possible damage.

Signing a waybill

Both you and the sender can create a waybill and ask the other party to sign. Each party receives a copy after signing. A signed waybill is a document you can use as legal evidence in potential claims for damages.

Waybill not required

You do not need a waybill for transporting:

  • live animals
  • agricultural products from farm to auction
  • packaging for farm products from auction to farm
  • household effects
  • individual packages
  • post

A waybill is also not required for personal transports.

CMR consignment note

Do you wish to transport goods from, through or to a country that is a member of the CMR Treaty? You will need a CMR consignment note (EC Trade Helpdesk). CMR stands for the Convention on the contract for the international carriage of goods by road. The CMR Treaty regulates the liability of the transporter for damage to the freight. The CMR Treaty is recognized in Europe, and parts of the Middle East, Asia and North Africa.

This article is related to:

This information is provided by

Netherlands Enterprise Agency, RVO
FAQPartnersContactAbout usDisclaimerPrivacy and cookiesAccessibilityOndernemersplein (Dutch) is an initiative of:Netherlands Chamber of Commerce, KVKNetherlands Enterprise Agency, RVOImmigration and Naturalisation Service, INDTax and Customs Administration, BelastingdienstGovernment.nlStatistics Netherlands, CBSNetherlands Vehicle Authority, RDWDigital Trust CenterEuropean Commission Point of Single is the Dutch Point of Single Contact for entrepreneurs.Accessibility level: W3C WAI-AA WCAG 2.1