This article is related to:

Applying for road haulier licences

This information is provided by

Netherlands Enterprise Agency, RVO

Road hauliers in the EU must have one or more licences. In the Netherlands, you apply for licences from the National and International Road Transport OrganisationExternal link (Nationale en Internationale Wegvervoer Organisatie, NIWO, in Dutch). The licence you require depends on the destination of the cargo you are transporting.

Own transport

Having your own transportExternal link (in Dutch) means you transport freight for your own company. You do not need a permit to do so. You must, however, be able to demonstrate that you are transporting your own goods. In countries outside the EU, you sometimes need a journey permitExternal link (ritmachtiging).

Transport within the EU

A Euro licenceExternal link is compulsory for:

  • commercial goods transport in the Netherlands for freight vehicles with a load-bearing capacity exceeding 500 kg.
  • cross-border commercial goods transport within the EU involving freight vehicles with a maximum permitted weight exceeding 3500 kg.

Transport outside the EU

In most cases, transport outside the EU also requires a journey permitExternal link or an ECMT licenceExternal link in addition to a Euro licence. With an ECMT licence, you can transport goods from, to and via countries that are party to the European Conference of Ministers of Transport (ECMT) agreement, provided you comply with the ECMT’s emission and safety requirements.

Dutch companies can submit their applicationExternal link digitally with NIWO (in Dutch) using eHerkenning. Foreign companies can apply for an accountExternal link with NIWO (in Dutch). For the current rates check NIWOs websiteExternal link.

Driver's attestation

If you hire non-EU lorry drivers, they are only allowed to drive your lorries if they have a driver's attestation issued by the Dutch National and International Road Transport Organisation (NIWO). To be able to apply for the attestationExternal link (in Dutch), they need a valid work permit and a driver's certificate of professional competence.


If a transport company from an EU member state transports goods between 2 points within the borders of another Member State, this will constitute cabotage. Carriers may undertake no more than 3 cabotage trips in another country. After that, they have to cross the border again. In the Netherlands, the Human Environment and Transport InspectorateExternal link (Inspectie Leefomgeving en Transport, ILT) enforces this rule.

Dispensation abnormal load

In the Netherlands, an 'abnormal loadExternal link' is a vehicle that is heavier and larger than normally allowed by law. If you are responsible for transporting an abnormal load, you must apply for dispensation to the Netherlands Vehicle AuthorityExternal link (RDW, in Dutch), of which there are 3 types. The General Terms and Conditions for Exceptional TransportExternal link (Algemene Voorwaarden voor Exceptioneel Transport, see pdf) are often applied to abnormal loads in the Netherlands. These terms and conditions stipulate obligations and liabilities for both the carrier and the consignor.

ATP and VWA certificate for refrigerator trucks

If you plan to import or export perishable goods using an insulated refrigerated vehicle, an ATP testExternal link (pdf, in Dutch) and/or a VWA test carried out by RDW is compulsory. Following this inspection an ATP certificate and/or VWA is issued.

There are two types of refrigerator trucks:

  • ATP refrigerator trucks, a vehicle with a temperature controlled cargo, used for international transport of perishable goods.
  • VWA refrigerator trucks, a vehicle with a temperature controlled cargo, used for national transport of not fully chilled pork, beef and veal.

Contact the Netherlands Vehicle Authority (RDW) to apply for an ATP or a VWA licenceExternal link.

This article is related to:

This information is provided by

Netherlands Enterprise Agency, RVO