Logo of the Dutch governmentGo to homepage

Government support for entrepreneurs

This article is related to:

Insurances for self-employed professionals

This information is provided by Netherlands Enterprise Agency

For self-employed professionals in the Netherlands it is not, unlike for employees, compulsory to have insurance for illness, invalidity or unemployment. Therefore, they must make arrangements for these kind of social insurances themselves if they want to receive any benefit if they become ill or unfit for work, for example. National insurance schemes (social security), however, do apply to them.

Voluntary insurance

Former employees or benefit recipients in the Netherlands who start their own business, can take out several insurances with the Dutch Employee Insurance AgencyExternal link (UWV, in Dutch). To be able to do so, they need to register within 13 weeks after their compulsory employee insurance scheme through former work or benefit has been cancelled.

Every self-employed professional can take out voluntary insurances against a number of business risks with an insurance company. You will find information about insurance schemes regarding disability, provision for old age and liability on the Insurances for self-employed websiteExternal link (Verzekeren voor Zelfstandigen) (in Dutch).

National insurance schemes

National insurance schemes are compulsory for everyone working or living in the Netherlands. Self-employed professionals in the Netherlands pay national insurance contributions through their income tax.

This article is related to:

This information is provided by

Netherlands Enterprise Agency