Logo of the Dutch governmentGo to homepage

Government support for entrepreneurs

Benefits for self-employed professionals

This information is provided by: Netherlands Enterprise Agency

As a self-employed professional based in the Netherlands, you only qualify for state benefits on a minimum level. You are therefore responsible yourself for your pension or disability benefit.


Employee insurance schemes and national insurance

As a self-employed professional you cannot claim employees’ insurances. However, you can claim national insurances (such as the General Old Age Pensions Act (AOW).

Self-Employed Persons (Provision of Assistance) Decree (BBZ)

This is a benefit for entrepreneurs on a minimum level.

Older and Partially Disabled (Formerly Self-Employed) Persons Income Support (IOAZ)

As an older self-employed professional you can rely on this scheme when you are forced to end your company.

Temporary pregnancy compensation

Self-employed women who gave birth between 7 May 2005 and 4 June 2008 may be eligible for €5.600 euro in compensation. Requests for this compensation can be made from the Employee Insurance Agency (UWV) between 15 May – 30 September 2018.

Prenatal and childbirth allowance for self-employed people

As a female self-employed professional, you will be entitled to an allowance in the Netherlands during pregnancy and after childbirth.

Childcare benefit for self-employed professionals

If your child is attending a childcare facility, you may receive childcare benefits for the hours you spend on your business.

In order to start your own company on the basis of a benefit there are various options. The Employee Insurance Agency (UWV) can provide further assistance in this respect.

Starting your own company while receiving occupational disability benefit

When you have a long-term disability, you can get assistance to start an own company.

Starting your own company while receiving unemployment benefit (WW)

You can start a company while retaining your unemployment benefit.

This information is provided by:

Netherlands Enterprise Agency

Any further questions?

Please contact the Netherlands Enterprise Agency

+31 (0)88 602 44 44