Logo of the Dutch governmentGo to homepage

Government support for entrepreneurs

This article is related to:

Taxi driver’s card and diploma

This information is provided by: Netherlands Enterprise Agency

All taxi drivers in the Netherlands must have a driver’s card (BCT card, Boord Computer Taxi card). The driver’s card must be displayed in a manner clearly visible to passengers. You can obtain or extend your driver’s card from Kiwa RegisterExternal link. Among other things, you will need a taxi driver's diploma and a Certificate of good conduct (Verklaring omtrent het gedrag, VOG) to be eligible for the card. The card expires after 5 years.

Taxi driver's diploma

In the Netherlands, taxi drivers need a taxi driver's diploma. There are several types of examsExternal link (Dutch) for obtaining a taxi driver’s diploma from the Central Office for Motor Vehicle Driver Testing (Centraal Bureau Rijvaardigheidsbewijzen, CBR). It depends on which specific taxi driver's card you want to apply for:

  • Full taxi driver's card: for all types of taxi transport.
  • Limited taxi driver's card: if you drive regular passengers, on set routes and at regular times.
  • Target group transport: for contract transport of elderly people, children and people with an impairment.

You apply to CBRExternal link (Dutch) for the examination.

Continuous screening

Your behaviour as a taxi driver is continuously screened. If you commit a criminal offense, such as an assault or driving under the influence of alcohol, your driver's card will be withdrawn.

Taxi on-board computer

The BCT driver's card gives you access to the on-board taxi computer. The on-board computer automatically registers journey data, working hours, driving times and rest times.

This information is provided by:

Netherlands Enterprise Agency

This article is related to: