Taxi operator licence

Published by:
Netherlands Enterprise Agency, RVO
Netherlands Enterprise Agency, RVO

Do you want to start a taxi business in the Netherlands? You will need a taxi operator licence (ondernemersvergunning voor taxivervoer).

Taxi operator licence

You apply for a taxi operator license with Kiwa Register (in Dutch). To apply you need to:

Will you start a taxi business together with other entrepreneurs as a general partnership (vof)? Then you need a declaration of collective transport.

A taxi operator licence is valid indefinitely. However, your licence is reviewed every 5 years. Kiwa reminds you of your upcoming periodical review 3 months in advance (in Dutch).

Changing your taxi operator licence

If there is a change in your company you need to change your taxi operator licence with Kiwa Register (in Dutch). For example if you change the name, the legal form, or the composition of the legal entities.

Request a copy

Did you lose or damage your licence? You can request a copy of your taxi operator licence with Kiwa Register (in Dutch).

Passenger Transport Number (P-number)

In addition to your taxi operator licence you will receive a Passenger Transport Number (P-number). This P-number must be clearly visible on your taxi information card and on your fare mileage records. You also need this P-number to apply for the taxi entrepreneur card. Your P-number is personal and cannot be used by anyone else.

Continuous screening

Taxi business owners are continuously screened. If they commit a criminal offense, such as fraud or blackmail, their operator licence may be withdrawn.

Additional municipal quality requirements

Municipal authorities can impose additional rules on the quality of taxi services:

  • They may require taxi drivers to serve the local market as a group. This involves an unambiguous complaints procedure and recognisable taxis. Drivers who are not affiliated with that group are not allowed to work in that particular area.
  • They may require taxi drivers to have a thorough knowledge of the layout of the municipality. They should also be familiar with local public transportation options.
  • They may ensure that taxi drivers cannot refuse short trips by imposing fines.
  • They may require you to have a permit to use bus lanes to make use of them.

Ask your municipal authority (in Dutch) for information on additional rules for taxi services.

This article is related to:

Questions relating to this article?