Logo Dutch central governmentLogo Business.gov.nl, government information for entrepreneurs.MenuSearchSearch

Applying for an exemption for traffic rules and road signs

This information is provided by:Netherlands Enterprise Agency, RVONetherlands Enterprise Agency, RVOLast updated on Nederlandse versie

Are you unable to comply with the traffic rules and traffic signs (including road markings) on a particular road? For example to carry out your work? Then you must apply for an exemption for traffic signs and traffic rules on a public road to the relevant road authority. This usually the national road authority, the province, the regional water authority, or the municipality.

Find out more or arrange now

at your municipality, province, or water authority

The road authority can issue an exemption so that you do not have to follow all the traffic rules on a particular road.

You can get an exemption for, for example:

You apply for the exemption to the road authority. For provincial roads this is the province, for national roads this is Rijkswaterstaat, and for local roads you apply for the exemption to the municipal authority. For many roads and cycle paths outside built-up areas you apply to the regional water authority.

Related articles

To top