Buildings insurance for your business premises

Published by:
Netherlands Chamber of Commerce, KVK
Netherlands Chamber of Commerce, KVK

A buildings insurance (opstalverzekering) covers you for damage to your business premises. For example, after fire, water damage, storm, vandalism, or theft. A business buildings insurance ensures that your business premises can be repaired or rebuilt.

What is a building?

Included are all the parts of a building for which demolition or dismantling work is required to break down the building. For example, windows, ceilings, doors, and walls. Fences and hedges also belong to the building.

For whom is corporate buildings insurance useful?

Buildings insurance is useful if you are the owner of your commercial property. Think carefully about the risks you run. For example, if your property is located in a forested area, trees can fall and cause damage during severe storms. With a buildings insurance, you can insure the damage to your property. If you rent your business premises, office, or other commercial space, you do not need to take out any buildings insurance.

Is buildings insurance mandatory?

You are not obliged to take out buildings insurance for your business premises. But if you own commercial property, it is a good idea to take out buildings insurance. Repairing damage can be very expensive without insurance. When applying for a mortgage, the bank may require you to take out a buildings insurance. Because your business premises serves as collateral for the mortgage.

What is usually covered by buildings insurance?

  • Damage to your business premises
  • Damage to a shed, stable, or garage, if used for business operations

When does buildings insurance pay out?

If your policy lists that you are covered for what happened to you. Common causes are: fire, water damage, storm, vandalism, or theft

What is usually not insured?

  • Indirect damage such as loss of income. For this you need consequential loss insurance
  • damage to your inventory. For this you need inventory insurance
  • damage to goods or stock. For this you need goods insurance
  • damage caused by intent
  • damage caused by poor maintenance
  • damage caused by illegal activities
  • damage caused by natural disasters, such as earthquakes and floods
  • Many insurers allow you to combine the various casualty insurance policies. You are then insured for multiple damages at once and often pay less premium.

How do you insure a home office?

Do you have an office or other workspace at home? Then it is sensible to check with your insurer whether the business use of your home is covered by your private insurance. If something happens to your home, you may need to rent out temporary workspace. That comes with additional costs involved.

Do you have any questions?

Contact KVK: Service and contact Chamber of Commerce or ask other entrepreneurs for advice on

Questions relating to this article?

Please contact the Netherlands Chamber of Commerce, KVK