Logo of the Dutch governmentGo to homepage

Government information for entrepreneurs

Submit your VAT return in the Netherlands

This information is provided by

Tax and Customs Administration, Belastingdienst

In the Netherlands, entrepreneurs must file Value Added Tax returns (btw aangifte) with the Dutch Tax and Customs Administration on a monthly, quarterly or yearly basis (usually quarterly). You must submit your VAT returns digitally and on time, to avoid a fine. In your VAT return, you register the amount of VAT you have paid and received, to reach the amount you must pay (or get a refund).

Who submits a VAT return?

If your business is registered with the Netherlands Chamber of Commerce, and you have been issued with a VAT identification and VAT number, you most likely have to file VAT returns. There are some exceptions: for example, if goods or services are exempt from VAT, such as childcare and the services of funeral directors, you cannot charge VAT. Usually this also means deduction of paid VAT is not possible. Non-resident businesses doing business in the Netherlands may have to file a VAT return as well. Use the Registration of Non-Resident Entrepreneurs AidExternal link to find out if registration in your case is necessary. If so, you must use the Application for VAT identification number for foreign entrepreneurs form (PDF)External link.

Filing your first VAT return

Once you have registered your company with the Netherlands Chamber of Commerce (resident companies) or with the Dutch Tax and Customs Administration (non-resident companies), the Dutch Tax and Customs Administration will send you information about your liability for VAT. They will issue you with a VAT identification number, to use for correspondence and invoices to your customers, and a VAT number, to use for your dealings with the Tax Administration. This two-number system is necessary to avoid privacy breaches, as the VAT number may contain the citizen service number of the owner or director of the company.

You will also receive a letter telling you how and when to file your VAT returns, as well as a user name and a password for filing digitally. You might have to file your first return on paper; the Tax and Customs Administration will inform you.

Filing your VAT return online

You file your VAT returns digitally online. There are several ways of doing this:

Monthly, quarterly or yearly?

The Tax and Customs Administration will notify you how often you have to file a VAT return: monthly, quarterly or yearly. The most common frequency is quarterly. If you want to file your returns on a monthly or yearly basis, it is possible in certain conditions. Send a letter to the Tax and Customs AdministrationExternal link to arrange this.

Are you eligible for the Small Businesses Scheme (KOR)?

Entrepreneurs with an annual turnover that does not exceed €20,000.- can participate in the new small businesses scheme (KOR). To participate, you have to apply by filling in a formExternal link and send it to the Tax Administration. The first opportunity to start participating is 1 April 2020. You must send your application to the Tax Administration 4 weeks before the start of your next filing period. So, if you want to start participating on 1 April 2020, your application form has to be at the Tax Administration office no later than on 3 March 2020.

Read more about the new KOR.

Exempt from VAT requirements

Are you exempt from administrative VAT requirementsExternal link? Then you participate automatically from 1 January 2020. If you want to stop participating, you must notifyExternal link the Tax Administration. You can do so at any time.

Make sure to submit and pay on time

Always make sure to file your return and pay the requisite sum on time. You will not receive a notification to file, this is your own responsibility. To help you, the BTW Alert appExternal link (in Dutch) can notify you when your VAT return is due. You calculateExternal link the amount you have to pay or receive in your tax return form. You will not receive a notice of assessment for your VAT. If you fail to file your VAT return or pay in time, you will receive an additional assessment.

VAT return for services to or from abroad

If you supply services to a foreign country or purchase services from abroad, you may have to declare part of the VAT paid or charged for these services in the Netherlands and part in the country you are doing business with. You can find more information on the Tax and Customs Administration websiteExternal link (in Dutch).

Filling out the VAT return

You use the VAT return to declare the VAT you have charged to your customers. You also declare the amount of VAT you have paid to your suppliers. You also file VAT that has been reverse-charged to you. You either pay or receive the balance. There are several tariffsExternal link and exemptionsExternal link. Make sure you’re using the correct tariff. For some expenses, like personal expenses and expenses made for business gifts (of over €227), the VAT is non-deductible. In your final VAT return of the year, you have to declare the VAT paid for the private use of:

  • Business car
  • Gas, water, electrics and phone
  • Business goods

The Explanatory notes to the digital VAT returnExternal link tell you which deliveries of goods and services to declare in your VAT return. It also explains how to calculate VAT and fill in the return form.

Correct mistakes in your next VAT return

Mistakes happen; for instance, you may have overlooked an invoice in your latest VAT return. It’s not a problem. You can correct the mistake in your next VAT return, if the difference in the amount you have to pay or are due to receive is less than €1,000. If it is more, you’ll have to file an additional return, a so-called Suppletie-aangifte, to be found in the encrypted entrepreneurs’ environment on the website of the Tax and Customs Administration.

Find out if you are eligible for special VAT arrangements

The Netherlands applies special VAT arrangements to:

  • Profit margin arrangement: if you deal in second-hand goods, you may be eligible for this arrangement, and only have to pay VAT on the difference between the sale price and the purchase price.
  • Travel agency arrangement: If your services are eligible for the travel agency arrangement, you pay VAT on the profit margin for travel services, instead of on the total price.
  • Reverse-charge arrangement: Under the reverse-charge arrangement, you do not charge VAT, but reverse-charge it to your buyer.

This information is provided by

Tax and Customs Administration, Belastingdienst