Logo Dutch central governmentLogo Business.gov.nl, government information for entrepreneurs.MenuSearchSearchHomeStarting your businessRegistering your business

Registering with the Netherlands Tax Administration

This information is provided by:Netherlands Tax Administration, BelastingdienstNetherlands Tax Administration, BelastingdienstNetherlands Chamber of Commerce, KVKNetherlands Chamber of Commerce, KVKNetherlands Enterprise Agency, RVONetherlands Enterprise Agency, RVO

Do you do business in the Netherlands and charge VAT for services performed here, without a permanent establishment in the Netherlands? You will have to register with the Netherlands Tax Administration. You will not be required to register in the Netherlands Chamber of Commerce Business Register (Handelsregister).

Taxes, tax numbers and registration as employer

To register with the Tax Administration, you need to complete the foreign company registration form. The Tax Administration then uses your information to determine which taxes you are required to pay, which can include:

Within a few weeks after registration, the Tax Administration will send you a letter outlining the relevant information. You may also receive a VAT number and a tax return form. You do not need to submit a separate request for a VAT number. Before you can hire staff, you will first need to register as an employer for social security purposes with the Tax Administration. You will then receive a payroll tax number and several forms to fill in. The payroll tax number is relevant for filing your annual payroll tax return and communication with the Tax Administration.


You must notify your tax office in writing of any changes in your name or address details. If you open an outlet at another location, you do not need to report the other outlet to the Tax Administration.

Previous owner's tax regime

If you take over (a part of) a business, you must comply with arrangements which the Tax Administration made with the previous owner.

Related articles

To top