On this page
If you have a specialist store that sells tobacco, e-cigarettes and e-liquids, you will no longer be allowed to advertise these products in or outside your store. That includes wall signs.
The ban on advertising is part of the National Prevention Agreement (Nationaal Preventieakkoord). This agreement specifies a number of actions aimed at reducing smoking.
The ban does not apply to:
- Tobacconists that sell only tobacco products, smoking accessories, lottery tickets and papers and that are registered with the Netherlands Food and Consumer Product Safety Authority (NVWA, in Dutch);
- Existing small businesses with more than 75% turnover from tobacco products that are registered with the NVWA (in Dutch).
A specialist store is a point of sale that has:
- its own (closable) access
- a (selling) floor area of at least 10 m2
- carries at least 90 brands of tobacco or tobacco related products
- specialist stores that sell tobacco products.
It is not yet known when this change will come into effect.
Please note: The effective date of this measure is not yet final. Entry into force is subject to its passing through the upper and lower houses of parliament or proclamation of the Order in Council (Algemene Maatregel van Bestuur, AMvB) or ministerial decree and publication in the Staatsblad or the Staatscourant(in Dutch).