On this page
Do you sell alcohol? Rules for selling and serving alcohol will be tightened:
- Age verification rules will be more strict, especially for web shops and delivery services that sell and deliver alcohol. Online vendors of alcohol are responsible for age verification from order to delivery.
- Vendors must limit discounts to at most 25%. Special offers for alcohol such as ‘buy two, pay for one’ will not be allowed any more.
- The Dutch Food and Consumer Product Safety Authority (NVWA) will be responsible for the supervision on online sales and special offers for alcohol.
- liquor stores (off-licences)
- wine merchants
- hospitality industry (on-licences such as pubs, restaurants)
- online suppliers of alcoholic beverages
- (mail) deliverers
- commercial pick-up points
It is expected this change to the Licensing and Catering Act will come into force on 1 July 2021.
Please note: The effective date of this measure is not yet final. Entry into force is subject to its passing through the upper and lower houses of parliament or proclamation of the Order in Council (Algemene Maatregel van Bestuur, AMvB) or ministerial decree and publication in the Staatsblad or the Staatscourant (in Dutch).