Building regulations

Published by:
Netherlands Enterprise Agency, RVO
Netherlands Enterprise Agency, RVO

Your business premises in the Netherlands must comply with the building regulations. You will find these regulations in the Building Decree 2012 (Bouwbesluit 2012) as well as in your local building by-laws.

You must also comply with building regulations and layout requirements that are relevant to your specific business activities. Moreover, if you plan to build, rebuild or renovate, in most cases you will need an All-in-one Permit for Physical Aspects (omgevingsvergunning).

Building Decree 2012

If you plan to refurbish, build, demolish or occupy a building, you must comply with the Building Decree 2012. This decree contains the technical regulations that represent the minimum requirements for all structures in the Netherlands. The requirements relate to safety, health, usability, energy efficiency and the environment. The Praktijkboek Bouwbesluit 2012 (in Dutch) guides you through the Building Decree 2012.

Energy saving measures

Business in the Netherlands are required to take energy saving measures by reducing their energy demand, by applying sustainable technologies and by using renewable energy sources.


All new buildings must also meet the Almost Energy Neutral Building requirements (Bijna Energieneutrale Gebouwen, BENG). These are strict requirements that result from the European Energy Performance of Buildings Directive and are meant to reduce energy consumption. These requirements (in Dutch) replace the Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) requirements. There are different requirements for different building types. BENG requirements are assessed with NTA 8800. There is a separate requirement for the exterior of buildings. These should be designed in a way that reduces energy consumption as much as possible.

Municipal building rules

The municipal building rules relate to urban planning, building on contaminated land and requirements regarding the external appearance of buildings. Building rules can differ from one municipality to another.