Bus transport licences

Published by:
Netherlands Enterprise Agency, RVO
Netherlands Enterprise Agency, RVO

Do you provide national or international bus transport services, or bus transport services on your own account in or from the Netherlands? You may require a licence, certificate, or journey form. You apply for these forms with KIWA Register (in Dutch).

Community licence

You require a community licence if you offer national or international bus transport services within the European Economic Area (EEA). Each bus needs a certified copy of the licence. You need a Certificate of Conduct (Verklaring Omtrent Gedrag, VOG) to apply. The licence and its certified copies are valid for 5 years.

Licence for international regular transport services

Do you provide regular bus transport services outside the EU (in Dutch)? A regular bus transport service carries persons with a given regularity along a specified route. Passengers may board and disembark at predetermined locations along this route. You must have a licence for international regular transport (in Dutch) as well as a community licence to apply. You also need to provide scheduling, a tariff scheme, a scaled map, and your driver’s driving and resting schedule with your application. The licence is valid for 5 years.

Journey form for occasional transport

If you provide occasional transport services to countries outside the Netherlands, you must have a journey form (in Dutch). The type of form you need depends on the country of destination. The journey form contains information about your destination, route, and number of passengers. A completed journey form must be present before departure.

Certificate for cross-border non-commercial passenger transport

When you transport passengers across borders by bus or coach to EU/EEA countries on your own account, you will need an own-account transport certificate (in Dutch). Own-account transport is transport without a commercial purpose. The transport activity may only be an additional activity and must concern a closed group of persons, such as the transport of a sports team.

You do not need a certificate or licence for national bus transport services on one's own account, such as an employer providing transport to his employees.

This article is related to:

Questions relating to this article?