Certificates and rules for working with F-gases

Published by:
Netherlands Enterprise Agency, RVO
Netherlands Enterprise Agency, RVO

Do you work with F-gases (synthetic refrigerants) the Netherlands? You must have the right certificates.

You deal with F-gases if you work on for instance:

  • cooling, air-conditioning, and heat-pump equipment
  • high-voltage switches
  • fire protection equipment
  • refrigerated truck and refrigerated trailer equipment

It concerns work such as installing, servicing, repair and maintenance, leakage control, decommissioning, and recovery.

Personal F-gases certificate

To work with F-gases, such as for cooling installations, in the Netherlands you will need a personal F-gases certificate (BRL 200 certificate). You can obtain the F-gases certificate if you pass the exam at a recognised institution (in Dutch):

A Dutch personal F-gases certificate is valid in all EU countries. Do you want to check if someone has a Dutch personal certificate? You can do so with the Central Register for the Technology Sector (Centraal Register Techniek, in Dutch).

Company F-gases certificate

In the Netherlands, a maintenance or installation company must have a company certificate (BRL 100 certificate) to work with F-gases. To obtain the company F-gases certificate your company must meet the requirements. Requirements for an F-gases certificate for companies are for example: your staff must have the right certificates, you must have the correct tools, and you must have work instructions.

As a maintenance or installation company, you can apply for a company certificate from one of the appointed inspection authorities (in Dutch):

A Dutch company F-gases certificate is valid in all EU countries. You can look-up if a company is certified to work with F-gases (BRL 100 certificate) in the Dutch-language online register.

F-gases certificates for the self-employed (zzp’ers)

Are you self-employed (zzp’er) and do you work with F-gases? You need a personal F-gases certificate (BRL 200 certificate) and a company F-gases certificate (BRL 100 certificate).

Foreign F-gases certificate

In the European Union there is mutual recognition of certificates for F-gases. This is established in the European F-gases Regulation. This means that your company or personal F-gases certificate from any EU country is valid in the Netherlands and vice versa. The certificate is not registered or converted to a Dutch certificate. You must be able to show a valid certificate upon inspection. EU member countries can ask for a translation of the certificate in another official EU language.

If you have an F-gases certificate from a country outside of the EU you can only work in the Netherlands if there is a treaty with the Netherlands and if your professional level is the same.

Mandatory leak inspection

Do you own an installation that contains F-gases such as a cooling installation, high voltage switch, or fire protection system? You must have the leakage detection system inspected at least every 12 months. Leakage detection systems for electrical switches must be inspected at least every 6 years. You must have the inspection performed by someone with an F-gases certificate. You must keep records of the inspections and repairs in a logbook (logboekverplichting, in Dutch) and keep these records for 5 years.

Collection and processing of CFCs

The use of CFCs as a coolant is not allowed. Specific rules are applicable for collecting and processing CFCs and halons. Refilling hydrochlorofluorocarbons (HCFCs) is forbidden. This means refrigerants like R22 are not permitted for use in cooling and climate control systems or heat pumps.