If you sell outside of a salesroom or shop, you must adhere to more rules than sale from a shop or sale room. This kind of sale includes:
- door-to-door sales;
- street sales;
- sales demonstrations (during special bus trips);
- sales parties (hosted in someone's home).
If you wish to sell over the phone or via a web shop, you must inform your customer that these type of sales are not considered to be 'sales outside of a salesroom or shop' (like door-to-door sales), but distance sales (verkoop op afstand). Each type of sales has its own specific regulations.
Rules for entering into an agreement
If you enter into an agreement outside your shop or sale room, you have to make sure your customer receives the relevant information about the purchase (e.g. total costs, product, delivery, contact details, duration of contract, cancellation, conditions for termination, etc.). You must record the sale in an agreement. A number of rules apply, including the following:
- You may not enter into an agreement if you know or suspect that a purchaser cannot afford the costs.
- In order to be valid, an agreement must be signed in duplicate by you and the buyer. You provide the buyer with a signed copy of the agreement. The agreement must satisfy several requirements to be valid. For instance, you must state the option for dissolving the agreement.
- The buyer has a cancellation period of 14 calendar days after the agreement has been made.
The rules do not apply to agreements for amounts of less than €50. You may not spread a product over several agreements with a view to avoiding the obligations of the rules.
Please note: You must have a street trader’s licence from your municipality to sell from door to door.