Gas and electricity metering company

This information is provided by

Netherlands Enterprise Agency, RVO

A metering company supplies, installs and maintains the electricity and gas meter, collects power and gas consumption data and sends it to the grid administrator. There are several requirements metering companies should fulfil.

Energy market regulations

The Authority for Consumers & Markets (Autoriteit Consument & Markt, ACM) has drawn up various Energy Codes (in Dutch), which contain the arrangements between grid administrators and grid users such as energy suppliers and metering companies. These arrangements concern among others:

  • the rates
  • the measurement energy use
  • the exchange of metering data

The ACM monitors compliance with the codes.

Metering company authorisation

In order to be authorised as a metering company, you must fulfil a number of requirements. You have to apply your company to TenneT, who will assess and certify your company. You can be certified as a general metering company or as a metering company for only certain types of metering devices. All certified companies are recorded in the register of metering companies (MRP Register Electricity). Large energy consumers (usually companies) can choose from the register who measures how much energy they use.

Inclusion in the connections register

As a metering company you must be registered in the connections register. This register is kept by the regional network operator. The register contains all the relevant data about the parties connected to the gas and electricity network. Do you want to carry out work on metering systems and the system connection of the national gas transport network? Then you must be authorised by the grid administrator.

Collecting metered data

The way in which you collect the metered data is governed by strict regulations, including how you read the meter, validate the data and transfer the data to the regional grid administrator. If you change all or part of the metering device, you must report the change within 5 days to the grid administrator.

Transferring metering responsibility

If you are unable to perform the work, you are obliged to transfer metering responsibility to another authorised company. You can give notice of the transfer by means of a switch notification to the grid administrator.

If you lose your licence, the Metering Company Contingency Scheme (Vangnetregeling Meetverantwoordelijkheid, in Dutch) will come into effect. In that case the grid administrator will inform your customers that they can choose a new metering company by a certain deadline.

Online application procedure via Message Box

You can apply to TenneT to be a certified metering company also online via Message Box. Message Box is a secure email system that enables you as an entrepreneur to exchange digital messages with Dutch government agencies.

This information is provided by

Netherlands Enterprise Agency, RVO