Electricity and gas grid administrator

Published by:
Netherlands Enterprise Agency, RVO
Netherlands Enterprise Agency, RVO

Do you have multiple gas or electricity lines? In the Netherlands, gas and electricity transport networks must be managed by designated grid administrators, such as TenneT and Liander. You must hand over your grid to the regional grid operator. Do you want to operate your electricity or gas network yourself? This is only allowed in a number of specific situations.

Exemption from designated gas and electricity grid administrator

You can only operate your own grid if you have an exemption. You can apply for an exemption to appoint a grid administrator (in Dutch) to the Netherlands Authority for Consumers and Markets (Autoriteit Consument en Markt, ACM). You must meet the conditions:

  • your grid lies within a geographically defined area
  • no more than 500 customers are connected to your grid
  • no household customers are connected to your grid
  • for safety or technical reasons you or your customers’ business or production processes are integrated, or you use the grid mainly for yourself or for companies within the same holding company

The exemption is valid for 10 years.

Regulations for managing your own grid

You must keep to the regulations for an exemption (in Dutch), for example:

  • Your customers must be able to choose their own energy supplier.
  • You must communicate your rates and conditions to your customers in advance.
  • You must ensure that the grid is safe and reliable.

Customers may ask the ACM to check if you calculate the rates properly.

You have a direct line

Do you have a direct connection with your consumer via your line? You must report the direct line (in Dutch) to ACM. You may then manage the line yourself. You will then appear in the register of direct lines (in Dutch).

When you report, ACM does not assess whether your direct line is really a direct line according to the law. Do you want to be certain you do not have to transfer your grid to the regional grid operator? You should apply for an exemption (in Dutch).

Pipes or cables in your own installation

Do you only supply consumers through your grid within your own property or company? You do not have to transfer to a regional grid operator, report, or apply for an exemption. There are, however, exceptions. Contact ACM if you have any doubts.

This article is related to: