Logo of the Dutch governmentGo to homepage

Government support for entrepreneurs

This article is related to:

Liquor licence

This information is provided by Netherlands Enterprise Agency

In order to sell beverages with a high alcohol content for consumption off your premises (off-licence), you need a liquor licence. You can obtain this licence from the municipal authorities. Your shop must comply with the furnishings requirements laid down in the Establishments Layout Requirements (Licensing and Catering Act) Decree (Besluit eisen inrichtingen Drank- en Horecawet).

Your management must meet certain requirements as well: managers must be at least 21 years of age and must hold an SHV Statement of Social Hygiene (SVH Verklaring Sociale Hygiëne) or a Statement of Professional Competence (Verklaring Vakbewaamheid). Please contact SVHExternal link for more information about the various documents.

Changes to your off-licence shop

If your off-licence shop changes to such an extent that it no longer fits the description in your liquor licence, you must have the licence modified or apply for a new one.

Sample tasting

Your customers are allowed - at their request - to taste a free sample of an alcoholic beverage in your off-license shop. However, this is only allowed when offered by a member of your staff, not for instance by a promotional team.

This article is related to:

This information is provided by

Netherlands Enterprise Agency