Logo of the Dutch governmentGo to homepage

Government support for entrepreneurs

Maintenance and inspection of cooling installations, high voltage switches and fire protection systems

This information is provided by

Netherlands Enterprise Agency

If you perform work on cooling installations, high voltage switches or fire protection systems in the Netherlands or you own one of these installations, you must observe the F-Gas & Ozone Regulations. These regulations set requirements on the maintenance and routine inspection of these installations. Fluorinated greenhouse gasesExternal link (F-gases) or ozone depleting substances could be released in the event of leaks.

Activities by a certified company

In the Netherlands, only certified maintenance or installation companies may perform work on cooling installations, high voltage switches or fire extinguishing systems. As a maintenance or installation company, you can apply for a company certificate from one of the appointed inspection authorities. To obtain a company certificate, your company and its personnel will have to comply with certain conditions. You must, for example, have work instructions and proper equipment. You must also maintain a logbook. Your personnel must be in the possession of certain certificates.

Mandatory inspection

If you have a heating system of 100 kW or more, or an air-conditioning system with a cooling capacity of 12 kW in total or more on buildings level (homes as well), mandatory inspections apply. The experts must be qualified or certified.

If you are the installer or consultant in the non-residential construction or residential construction containing a collective heating system, you can do the Installation Performance Scan (IPS) (in Dutch) of the Netherlands Enterprise Agency.

Certificate register

Rijkswaterstaat Environment keeps a certificate registerExternal link (Dutch) of all individuals with an F-gas certificate. This register is not open for viewing. If you want to verify whether a person has the proper certification, you can contact RWS. If you do, please indicate the full name of the installer, date of birth and installer number (if known).

Company certificates register

The appointed inspection authorities maintain a register of the company certificates issued by them. A central register is not available. If you want to verify whether an installation or maintenance company has the proper company certificate, you can contact the inspection authority by which the certificate was issued.

Collection and processing of CFCs

CFCs are not permitted for use as a coolant. Specific rules are applicable for the collection and processing of CFCs and halons. In practice, you may use the collection structure from the lapsed ‘Regulations on the Collection of CFCs and Halons’ (Inzamelingsregeling CFK en halonen). Refilling HCFCs is forbidden. Refrigerants like R22 are not permitted for use in cooling and climate control systems or heat pumps.

This information is provided by

Netherlands Enterprise Agency