Logo of the Dutch government

Mooring permit

This information is provided by

Netherlands Enterprise Agency, RVO

In the Netherlands, if you want to moor your vessel at a fixed location, you need a mooring permit (ligplaatsvergunning). You can obtain this permit from the municipal authorities or the regional water authority. The mooring permit contains conditions relating to public order, safety, the environment, hygiene and health. The municipal authority or the regional water authority may also set requirements on the vessel’s dimensions.

The mooring permit is specific to a particular person, mooring place and vessel. If any of these details changes, you will have to apply for a new mooring permit.

Sources of information

Fixed mooring places are included in the municipality’s zoning plan. The municipal authority may designate sections of inland waterways where mooring is prohibited. The municipal port by-law (havenverordening) also contains rules on mooring places. The area covered by the port by-law differs from one municipality to another. The by-law applies to vessels located in that area.

Provincial waterways

For some (parts of) provincial waterways a mooring ban is in place. In some cases you can apply for dispensation from this ban. You can apply for this dispensation to the provincial authorities.

This article is related to:

This information is provided by

Netherlands Enterprise Agency, RVO
FAQPartnersContactAbout usDisclaimerPrivacy & CookiesAccessibilityOndernemersplein (Dutch) is an initiative of:Netherlands Chamber of Commerce, KVKNetherlands Enterprise Agency, RVOImmigration and Naturalisation Service, INDTax and Customs Administration, BelastingdienstGovernment.nlStatistics Netherlands, CBSNetherlands Vehicle Authority, RDWDigital Trust CenterEuropean Commission Point of Single is the Dutch Point of Single Contact for entrepreneurs.Accessibility level: W3C WAI-AA WCAG 2.1