Logo of the Dutch governmentGo to homepage

Government support for entrepreneurs

Safety requirements for pleasure craft

This information is provided by Netherlands Enterprise Agency

In the Netherlands, new and imported pleasure craft between 2.5 metres and 24 metres in length must comply with the safety requirements of the 2016 Pleasure Craft Act (Wet pleziervaartuigen 2016). This does not apply to special vessels, including canoes, pedal boats and surfboards. The pleasure craft must bear:

  • a manufacturer's plate with CE marking
  • the Watercraft Identification Number (WIN)
  • a user's handbook and statement of conformity

Also, maximum emission rates of hydrocarbons, nitrogen oxides, particulates and carbon monoxide apply to new pleasure crafts. To avoid discharge of sewage, new crafts that are equipped with a toilet must have a waste retention or sewage treatment system.

Applying WIN

To obtain a WIN, manufacturers need to apply for a Manufacturers Identification CodeExternal link (PDF) to the HISWA Association (Dutch Water Sports Industry Association). It is mandatory to keep these records.

This information is provided by

Netherlands Enterprise Agency