Logo of the Dutch government

Permit and authorisation for provincial waterway structures

This information is provided by

Netherlands Enterprise Agency, RVO

If you want to build on, over or next to a provincial waterway in the Netherlands, you require a permit or authorisation. Read more

Do you want to build a structure in the Netherlands on, over, or next to a provincial waterway? For instance bridges, jetties, bank facilities or harbour basins? You must have a permit or authorisation from the provincial authority.

Permit for building activities

You need a permit from your provincial authority (in Dutch) for canals and water control works if you want to:

  • dig
  • build
  • reroute
  • rebuild
  • modify
  • prevent the use of, or
  • dismantle a waterway

Do you need to moor a vessel on a fixed location to perform building activities? You need to apply for an exemption with the provincial authority.

Online application procedure via Message Box

You can apply to the provincial authority for a permit or authorisation also via Message Box. Message Box is a secure email system that enables you as an entrepreneur to exchange digital messages with Dutch government agencies.

This article is related to:

This information is provided by

Netherlands Enterprise Agency, RVO
FAQPartnersContactAbout usDisclaimerPrivacy and cookiesAccessibilityOndernemersplein (Dutch) is an initiative of:Netherlands Chamber of Commerce, KVKNetherlands Enterprise Agency, RVOImmigration and Naturalisation Service, INDTax and Customs Administration, BelastingdienstGovernment.nlStatistics Netherlands, CBSNetherlands Vehicle Authority, RDWDigital Trust CenterEuropean Commission Point of Single is the Dutch Point of Single Contact for entrepreneurs.Accessibility level: W3C WAI-AA WCAG 2.1