Activities in quiet areas

This information is provided by:Netherlands Enterprise Agency, RVONetherlands Enterprise Agency, RVOLast updated on Nederlandse versie

In a quiet area (stiltegebied) noise levels may not exceed 40 dB. For louder sounds you will need dispensation.

Find out more or arrange now

at your municipality, province, or water authority

A quiet area (stiltegebied) is an environmental protection area in the Netherlands. In a quiet area the natural sounds of the area predominate. Other sounds may not exceed 40 decibels (dB). General regulations to avoid or minimise noise pollution in quiet areas are laid down in the Provincial Environmental Act (Provinciale Omgevingsverordening, POV). You can find the location of quiet areas on the Atlas Leefomgeving (Atlas of living environment, in Dutch).

Applying for dispensation

Do you want to carry out activities that exceed the sound level of 40 dB in quiet areas? You have to apply for dispensation from the provincial authority. In the dispensation the rules and regulations governing the activities in question will be stated.

Related articles

This webpage is part of an EU quality network