Logo of the Dutch government

Registration and consultation National Register of Lawyers

This information is provided by

Netherlands Enterprise Agency, RVO

If you intend to set up as a lawyer in the Netherlands, you must register with the local bar association where you want to establish your office. Read more

If you want to practice law in the Netherlands, you must be registered in the National Register of Lawyers (Landelijk Advocaten Tableau, LAT) kept by the Netherlands Bar Association (Nederlandse Orde van Advocaten). You will have to satisfy the training requirements prescribed by the Act on Advocates (Advocatenwet) and possess a Certificate of conduct (VOG).

Professional education and traineeship

To become a lawyer in the Netherlands you must complete law school with a Dutch University. You must subsequently follow the three-year Professional Education Programme for the Legal Profession (Beroepsopleiding Advocaten). You will have take a test to determine your basic knowledge (in Dutch). For more information about this programme, please contact CPO/Dialogue (in Dutch).

Simultaneously you start working as a trainee lawyer under the supervision of an experienced lawyer (a principal). You can do this at a law firm, but also at a company or municipal authority, for example. The Supervisory Council must in any event approve the supervisorship. Alternatively, you can become a trainee entrepreneur. In that case, additional conditions may apply.


After completing your law studies, you can register in the National Register of Lawyers (LAT). To register, you apply to the (local) bar association for your district (in Dutch).


When you are registered, each year you need to follow training and earn education points (in Dutch). If you have not practiced as a lawyer for 1 year or more, you must be sworn in and registered anew. During the 1st year after re-registering, you must earn extra education points.

Notifying changes

As a lawyer, your office address must be at one location. If you relocate, you must submit your change of address to Netherlands Bar Association (Nederlandse Orde van Advocaten) (in Dutch). You must also submit other changes, such as a change in the legal area you practice or if you start work with another law firm. Supplementary regulations apply if you relocate to the jurisdiction of another district court.

Supervision and confidentiality

Within NOvA an independent body exists that supervises all their members to ensure their profesional conduct. Also, lawyers' confidentiality is legally imposed.

Lawyers from abroad

Are you registered as a lawyer in an EU / EEA country, or in Switzerland? And do you want to work in the Netherlands? Specific rules apply depending on how often you work as a lawyer and in which capacity. If you have studied law in a country outside the EEA, you have to redo your law degree at a Dutch university. If your diploma from abroad is accredited, you may receive an exemption.

Acting as a lawyer occasionally

If you are a qualified lawyer from an EEA country or Switzerland, you may act as a lawyer in the Netherlands under the qualifications of your home country (home title). This follows from the services directive for lawyers. However, you must comply with certain conditions (in Dutch). You must, for example, work with a lawyer registered in the Netherlands.

Establishment as a lawyer in the Netherlands

If you are a qualified lawyer from an EEA country or Switzerland, under the Lawyers’ Establishment Directive you can work as a lawyer in the Netherlands, under your original occupational title ('home title'). You must register with the Supervisory Council (in Dutch). For this purpose, you will need among other things (in Dutch) proof of registration as a lawyer with the authorised authority in your country of origin.

You can request a statement from the Supervisory Council after three years, proving that you have worked in the relevant legal capacity, in the Netherlands. With this statement, you can register as a lawyer in the Netherlands, in the National Register of Lawyers (Landelijk Advocaten Tableau, LAT). You will then no longer have to take a test of professional competence or work as a student.

Professional Qualifications Directive

Do you want to register on the basis of the Professional Qualifications Directive? If so, your professional qualifications must be recognised first. To apply for this recognition you use the Dutch-language application form (formulier aanvraag erkenning beroepskwalificaties). You may have to take a test of professional competence. You must comply with the requirements of the General Act on the Recognition of EC Professional Qualifications (Algemene wet erkenning EG-beroepskwalificaties) and the Regulations on EC Qualifications for Lawyers (Regeling EG-beroepskwalificaties advocatuur).

Consultation of Register of Lawyers

If you are looking for a sworn lawyer, please consult the database 'Find a lawyer' (in Dutch) on the website of the Netherlands Bar Association.

Online registration procedure via Message Box

Using Message Box you can submit requests online to be listed in the National Register of Lawyers kept by the Netherlands Bar Association. Message Box is a secure email system that enables you as an entrepreneur to exchange digital messages with Dutch government agencies.

This article is related to:

This information is provided by

Netherlands Enterprise Agency, RVO
FAQPartnersContactAbout usDisclaimerPrivacy and cookiesAccessibilityOndernemersplein (Dutch) is an initiative of:Netherlands Chamber of Commerce, KVKNetherlands Enterprise Agency, RVOImmigration and Naturalisation Service, INDTax and Customs Administration, BelastingdienstGovernment.nlStatistics Netherlands, CBSNetherlands Vehicle Authority, RDWDigital Trust CenterEuropean Commission Point of Single is the Dutch Point of Single Contact for entrepreneurs.Accessibility level: W3C WAI-AA WCAG 2.1