Logo of the Dutch government

Use of a marine radio telephone

This information is provided by

Netherlands Enterprise Agency, RVO

If you want to use maritime transmission equipment on your vessel in the Netherlands, you have to notify the Netherlands Radiocommunication Agency. Read more.

Do you want to use a marine radio telephone or other maritime transmission devices in the Netherlands? Then you must first register its use and in some cases you may need a licence.

A stationary marine radio telephone is compulsory for vessels and pleasure boats longer than 20 metres. For pleasure crafts up to 20 metres, a portable marine radio telephone (walkie-talkie or handheld) is sufficient in the Netherlands

Operating certificate

Too operate a marine radio telephone system, you need an operator certificate (in Dutch). There are 3 types of certificates:

You need to take an exam for these certificates. The Netherlands Radiocommunication Agency (Agentschap Telecom) has a list of institutions and schools (in Dutch) where you can take exams. If you have passed the exam you can apply for the operating certificate with the Radiocommunications Agency (in Dutch).

Foreign certificate

Did you get your certification abroad(in Dutch), for example the Shoirt Range Cetificate (SRC)? Then you must send a copy of the front and back of the (signed) certificate to the Radiocommunication Agency. They will check if your certificate complies with the international requirements. Please note that since 1 July 2021 they charge a fee for converting your foreign certificate.

Use of maritime transmission equipment on a vessel

If you intend to use maritime transmission equipment on your vessel, you have to notify the Radiocommunications Agency (in Dutch). Your data will then be entered in the National Frequency Register (in Dutch). You can only notify (register) if you have an operating certificate. Details on the certificate required for the various equipments can be found in the equipment summary on the (Dutch-language) website of the Radiocommunications Agency.

Connection to the Netherlands

Do you want to register in the National Frequency Register? Then the vessel or the owner of the vessel must a have a connection to the Netherlands (in Dutch). You can demonstrate your ties with the Netherlands

If you cannot demonstrate your ties with the Netherlands, the Radiocommunications Agency can ask you to demonstrate these ties and end your registration if you cannot comply. You are not allowed to have maritime transmission equipment on board without registration.

Programming the marine radio telephone

After registration you will receive a letter from the Radiocommunication Agency containing all the details and codes for programming the marine radio telephone (in Dutch). On Dutch inland waterways, the marine radio telephone must be set to a maximum of 1 watt. At sea, you must set the marine radio telephone to a maximum of 25 watts.

Use of marine radio telephones from the shore

You also need a permit to use a marine radio telephone from the shore (in Dutch), just as you do for shore stations. In addition, you need a permit to use special channels (for example those reserved for oil refineries or port services).

This article is related to:

This information is provided by

Netherlands Enterprise Agency, RVO
FAQPartnersContactAbout usDisclaimerPrivacy and cookiesAccessibilityOndernemersplein (Dutch) is an initiative of:Netherlands Chamber of Commerce, KVKNetherlands Enterprise Agency, RVOImmigration and Naturalisation Service, INDTax and Customs Administration, BelastingdienstGovernment.nlStatistics Netherlands, CBSNetherlands Vehicle Authority, RDWDigital Trust CenterEuropean Commission Point of Single is the Dutch Point of Single Contact for entrepreneurs.Accessibility level: W3C WAI-AA WCAG 2.1