On this page
Manure basins can be built both underground and overground. There are specific building regulations, which differ depending on the type of manure basin (in Dutch).
Livestock farmers must also comply with regulations with regard to the following environmental issues:
- odour nuisance - communities could be exposed to unwanted odours
- ammonia emissions - ammonia emissions can impact the environment
- soil pollution - manure can pollute soil if not used with care.
You should take measures to prevent and limit odour nuisance (in Dutch). Manure basins cannot be placed within 25 metres of another livestock farm. They cannot be constructed within 50 metres of a house or residential area.
Covering manure basins and reducing ammonia impact
- 150 metres for basins up to 350 m2
- 250 metres for basins from 350 m2 - 750 m2