On this page
If you transport children to or from your childcare location, you need to do so safely. As the owner of a childcare organisation you are responsible. The Dutch law does not state any exact rules, but does require you to make sure the means of transport is safe and used responsibly. If you use a special motorised vehicle (bijzondere bromfiets) or a car, you need to comply with the rules for these vehicles.
Electric cargo bike
There are no specific rules on transporting children by cargo bicycle or electric cargo bike. Do you want to use your electric cargo bike to transport children to or from your childcare location? The same traffic rules apply as if you were riding a normal bike, if:
- the motor has a maximum capacity of 250 watt
- you need to pedal to move forward
- the electric cargo bike’s pedal assistance top speed is 25 kilometres an hour
You are responsible for the way your childcare organisation handles transportation.
BSO bus (special motorised vehicle)
If you want to use an electric wagon for your childcare organisation, in the Netherlands you may only use the BSO bus. Under Dutch law the BSO bus (official name: Stint Bus) is a special motorised vehicle (bijzondere bromfiets, in Dutch). It is a customised and approved version of the previous, forbidden Stint.
If you want to transport children by BSO bus you must keep to these rules:
- You use the vehicle, as far as possible, on designated cycle paths.
- You use the vehicle, as far as possible, in zones with a speed limit of 30 kilometres per hour.
- You determine the standard safe routes beforehand and you make sure these routes are used.
- The driver is at least 18 years.
- The driver successfully finished a training on driving the BSO bus.
Transporting kids by car
In the Netherlands, you need to keep to the rules for child car seats if you transport children by car. Children taller than 1.35 metres must wear a seat belt. The number of people you transport may not exceed the number of seats in your car. The number of car seats for each car is registered by the Netherlands Vehicle Authority (RDW) on your vehicle registration card. You can check the number of seats for your car on your vehicle registration card or through the RDW’s online portal RDW Kentekencheck (in Dutch). It is forbidden to transport people in the cargo space of cars. People are also not allowed to sit in car trailers.