When exporting goods, you have three transport options. You can hire an expedition company, you can use the services of a transport company, or you can transport the goods yourself. Transporting abroad involves transport documents, supply conditions, packaging requirements, and insurance.
On this page
You contract an expedition companyIf you let an expedition company (Fenex, in Dutch) arrange the transport, they will arrange everything for you: transport documents, insurance and customs procedures.
You hire a transporting companyYou choose a mode of transport, and find a transporting company (Holland Transport, in Dutch) that can execute the transport for you. The transporting company will see to procuring the correct transport documents. They possess the relevant licences for road hauliers. You will remain responsible for the customs procedure and any transport insurance you want to take out.
You transport the goods yourselfYou will have to arrange everything yourself.
- You must have the correct transport documents. It depends on the mode of transport (by road, air, rail, or water) what they are.
- You must have the correct licence(s) for road hauliers.
- You may have to invest in a means of transport.
- If you are exporting goods outside the EU, you will have to deal with Customs procedures yourself.
Check the packaging requirementsThe transporting or expedition company may have special packaging requirements, depending on the mode of transport. Discuss this beforehand. Also check the packaging requirements for your product in the destination country. If you are exporting inside the EU, you must comply with EU legislation as well as the 2014 Packaging Management Decree.
ICC Incoterms® 2010 - international delivery conditionsFor international transport, make use of the ICC Incoterms® 2010. These are international standards for goods transport, to cover for instance:
- Who arranges the transport from where to where
- Who is responsible for transport insurance, licences, documents and cutoms procedures
- At what point the transport liability transfers from seller to buyer.
Insure your goodsCheck who is responsible for the goods before, during and after transport. Cover your risks, for instance by taking out transport insurance.
Statistics: export development
Export value of total goods from all countries.