Logo of the Dutch governmentGo to homepage

Government support for entrepreneurs

Benefits and insurances for self-employed professionals

This information is provided by

Netherlands Enterprise Agency

On this page

As a self-employed professional based in the Netherlands, you are responsible for your own pension or disability benefit. However, you may be eligible for parental/childbirth allowances or compensation or benefits while starting your business. You can also take out voluntary insurances.


Self-Employed Persons (Provision of Assistance) Decree (BBZ)

This is a benefit for entrepreneurs on a minimum level.

Older and Partially Disabled (Formerly Self-Employed) Persons Income Support (IOAZ)

As an older self-employed professional you can rely on this scheme when you are forced to end your company.

Prenatal and childbirth allowance for self-employed people

As a female self-employed professional, you will be entitled to an allowance in the Netherlands during pregnancy and after childbirth.

Temporary childbirth compensation

Self-employed women who gave birth between 7 May 2005 and 4 June 2008 may be eligible for €5.600 euro in compensation. Requests for this compensation can be made from the Employee Insurance Agency (UWV) between 15 May – 30 September 2018.

Childcare benefit for self-employed professionals

If your child is attending a childcare facility, you may receive childcare benefits for the hours you spend on your business. In order to start your own company on the basis of a benefit there are various options. The Employee Insurance Agency (UWV) can provide further assistance in this respect.

Starting your own company while receiving occupational disability benefit

When you have a long-term disability, you can get assistance to start your own company.

Starting your own company while receiving unemployment benefit (WW)

You can start a company while retaining your unemployment benefit.


Insurances for self-employed professionals

You can take out voluntary insurance with the UWV, so that if you become ill or unfit for work, you will receive sickness or occupational disability benefit. You can also take out voluntary insurance against a number of other business risks privately, for example liability insurance.

Employee insurance schemes and national insurance

As a self-employed professional you cannot claim employees’ insurances. However, you can claim national insurances (such as the General Old Age Pensions Act (AOW).

Any further questions?

Please contact the Netherlands Enterprise Agency

+31 (0)88 602 44 44

This information is provided by

Netherlands Enterprise Agency