On this page
Does your company own cars or motorcycles? Or do you work in the automotive sector? New measures will be introduced to prevent fraud with vehicle odometers. An odometer is a device that measures the distance a vehicle has travelled. The measures will include:
- A ban on devices which are able to manipulate odometers
- A ban on driving a vehicle that contains such a device. This also applies when you have someone else drive the vehicle for you
- An extended obligation to report the meter readings to the Netherlands Vehicle Authority (RDW)
Reporting the meter readings will change as follows:
- Motorcycles now have to report as well
- Reporting becomes obligatory when performing maintenance or repair works of less than 150 euros
- Reporting becomes obligatory when changing tyres
When a vehicle gets demolished, there is no need to report the meter readings.
- Entrepreneurs who own a car or motorcycle
- Certified companies that register meter readings
- Those who sell or trade devices used to manipulate meter readings
It is not yet known when this law comes into force.