Logo Dutch central governmentLogo Business.gov.nl, government information for entrepreneurs.MenuSearchSearch

Dispensation from closing times for the catering industry

This information is provided by:Netherlands Enterprise Agency, RVONetherlands Enterprise Agency, RVONederlandse versie

Do you own a catering establishment? You must keep to opening and closing times for catering establishments in your municipality. If you want to open your catering establishment outside the regular opening hours you have to apply for dispensation from you municipality.

Applying for dispensation

You can only apply for dispensation if you have an operating permit for a catering establishment and if you are the owner of the establishment. Your municipalty may impose other requirements as well, for example:

  • Your establishment must be located in an entertainment area.
  • You can prove your establishment does not have an adverse effect on public order.
  • You should take measures to minimise nuisance.

Occasional dispensation

In some municipalities you can apply for dispenssation for a special occasion. Elsewhere, you only need to notify your municipality. For instance, if you want to host a party in your establishment.


You may have to pay a fee for a dispensation. It dipends on the municipality if and how much they charge for this dispensation.

Contact your municipality for more information (in Dutch).

Related articles

To top